Friday, September 30, 2011

All Dried Up Snack

I got a dehydrator recently, and I've since discovered some snacks that my kids really like. The best part about these is that you can eat them on the road, take them on field trips, or just have them lying around for whenever you want them.


Dehydrated Vegetables

Cut up any vegetable you want into bite size pieces, slices, etc., blanch, and dehydrate until leathery to crisp. Add sea salt if you like, though I don't find it necessary. My kids love these snacks, and they get a tun of nutrients with them as well. Their favorites are tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, carrots, and zucchini.



Fruit Leather

Blend up any fruit to an applesauce consistency and pour onto oiled fruit leather sheets in the dehydrator. Dry until leathery. Dust with corn starch, and cut into pieces to store. We often just buy plain applesauce from the store and add things like berries, bananas, kiwis, peaches, plums, etc. Not surprisingly, my kids love them.



Beef Jerky

When I see those really good sales of ground beef, I like to make jerky.

Original
1 pound ground meat
4 Tbs soy sauce
4 Tbs worschesire sauce
1 Tbs tomatoe sauce
1 Tbs Gingeroot
1/4 tsp black pepper
and 2 cloves garlic.

Teriyaki
1 pound ground meat
1 cup teryaki sauce
1 tsp minced garlic

Mix ingredients together for the flavor you want, then press though a jerky press onto the dehydrator racks to dry. You can also marinade thin slices of meat in these for 4-6 hours then drain and dehydrate.

No comments: