Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Our System is Down

A number of days ago, I went to use my iBook laptop, opened it up, and it flashed blank, never to turn on again. The poor thing was getting close to four years old, which is a good long life for a heavily used laptop, and luckily, nothing of great importance was lost. But still... I never knew how much I used it! I've had to revert back to our six year old desk top PC, re-learn Windows, and re-find most of the web pages I had bookmarked (this one included). And really, I can get over the desktop's slowness, but I hate not being able to carry it around with me. I was so spoiled! And my husband, Seth, used to take it to his court hearings (he's an attorney) instead of lugging all of the printed out paperwork. Poor thing. He had to use paper like everyone else last week.

In any case, Seth, has been eying a new MacBook Pro for his home office because his PC laptop is getting ready to call it quits as well. What's nice is that all the new Macs can run Windows and Windows programs using its Intel chip and one of two software programs (Parallels or Fusion). Eventually we'll replace our old PC desktop with an iMac as well.

So, we went to the Mac store last week and were blown away at how big the screens have become. The smallest laptop has a screen the size of my PC monitor's, and the smallest desktop is four inches larger then Seth's 2 year old iMac! Geesh! Oh, and the Memory and Hard drive space on the lowest end computers were much larger then my old beefed up laptop. Go figgure.

We could upgrade major time! But for now, we're going to settle with getting a lower end MacBook Pro for Seth's office that I can snag every now and again.

Maybe next year we can get that iMac for the family room. . .

2 comments:

Amy said...

let me know how you like the mac!

Misty Lynne said...

So far, I'm loving it. It's taken a bit to get it up and going. We had to load Fusion, WIndows Vista, Microsoft Word, and EZ FIling (a bankruptcy software program), and figure out how to hook it up to our wireless internet. Once that was done, it's been smooth sailing. And it's not too hard to get used to the mouse pad either. You just have to use your thumb to click the mouse, and it works just fine.

I love how intuitive the system is ( just click and drag) something I didn't appreciate that until I had to dink around on our old PC to find the wireless password and set up the windows portion on the laptop. Yup. I'm a Mac.