Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Way

It’s official. I am now registered for my first ever triathlon!

The one I’ve chosen to participate in is My Way or the Tri Way on Saturday, July 25th down at the Aurora Reservoir. There is a 750 meter swim, 14 mile bike, and 3.5 mile run. Participants can compete in any mixture of the three events. They can do the standard triathlon of swim-bike-run, or they can mix it up in any order. There is also the option of doing only two events, doubling one (i.e. bike-run-bike or swim-bike-swim, etc.).

Me, I have chosen to do a reverse triathlon; run-bike-swim. I figured I’d do the hardest first and easiest last, so that when I’m dying, I can at least take it easy.

You see, I swam competitively for over ten years, so that’s my easiest event. Biking, I don’t think is going to too be much of a problem, I just have to work on distance. Running, well, I’m still working at it. I can currently jog for only 2 miles straight, so I’ve got a ways to go.

I get to start my training next week. It’s a twelve week program that has swimming, running, and biking twice a week, weight lifting once a week, calisthenics twice a week, and a brick (transition from one sport to another) once a week. Workouts vary in length, generally getting longer as time goes on. The first swims are 20 minutes long, later ones are 40 minutes. Runs start at 35 minutes, increasing only one of the days in the week and keeping the other at 35 minutes. The longest run is 60 minutes. Biking also only increases the time on one day in the week, starting at 45 minutes with the longest at 90 minutes. Oh, and supposedly I’ll need an extra hour of sleep every night.

Sound like fun? Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You're amazing! Good luck.