Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Hate School!!!

It’s the dreaded phrase of any homeschooling parent. Nothing is worse then knowing that your kids hate what you are working so hard to provide for them. It’s demoralizing. It’s depressing. It’s like a slap in the face. Can it be avoided? No. Can it be the end of your homeschooling career? Only if you let it!

There is good news. Every kid will eventually say that they hate something when it interferes with their beloved playtime. It’s almost never personal; so don’t take it that way. Do try to find out though if there is a reason why they don’t like it other then that it is work.

Two personal examples:

This morning, my four year old announced that she didn’t want to go to preschool. She didn’t like it. I couldn’t fathom why. She has one of the best teachers I know. Marilyn is wonderful! She’s the doting grandma who does art projects, reads to them, takes them on field trips, and sings songs. What kid wouldn’t like that? On top of that, Bailey has a handful of friends that she likes to play with there too. So I asked her why she didn’t want to go. “Because I was playing”, came her answer. She didn’t want to have to get dressed, put her shoes on, and stop what she was doing. Go figure. I made her go anyway, and she had lots of fun.

A couple weeks ago, my oldest informed me that she hated history. It was the worst subject ever, in her mind. I asked her why. It didn’t come out immediately, but we figured out that it was because I wasn’t using very many visual aids, and she couldn’t get her mind around the subject because of it. Since then, I’ve been using more pictures and books, and she’s enjoying history a lot more.

My point . . . don’t take it personally, and don’t be afraid to ask you kid “Why?”

No comments: